Thursday 19 November 2020

Day 6

Covid-19 Art Exhibition

Day 6 Artists

Misty Athena Stokesfacebook.com/mistyathenastokes/     @ mistystokesartist

Influenced by lockdown I wanted to capture how Covid-19 separates generations, making us feel secluded from our friends and family, giving us a sense of loneliness. The bright colours represent a new world with hope for the future.

Seclusion

"Stay In" draws influence from the rich pattern of cultures from across the world, united in the message for us to all stay in and protect ourselves during this pandemic. I have used psychedelic bright colours to represent an almost dreamlike feeling of this surreal situation we currently find ourselves in.

Stay In

"Greed" is a response to the savage way in which members of the public have reacted by stockpiling food and other commodities during the pandemic. It reminds us to look out for and care for each other as a community.

Greed


latifah A Stranack latifah3rayoflight.com

I made this work during lockdown whilst I was at home with my family. I was fortunate to have a space to make work from the safety of my home, and over the long months of lockdown creating and affection/hugs from my family made all the difference. We would clap together like all the nation on Thursday evenings, and suddenly we would feel all together with the community.

Having You Close was Keeping Me Sane...


Hannah Sullivanhannahsullivan.myportfolio.com/

This painting was made during the peak of lockdown. At the time, my resources were very limited which encouraged the use of more experimental materials and methods. With these restrictions came the need to reuse surfaces, when I felt I had lost interest in a work I’d take the fabric off the frame and re-stretch it backwards, giving me an entirely new surface to work with whilst not wasting the original fabric. My surroundings at the time were very natural, which I think is reflected in the painting’s pallet and textures.

Untitled


Nerissa Cargill Thompsonnerissact.co.uk     @nerissact

Glove Story: A Tale of Covid 19

During lockdown, on my government mandated health walks around Chorlton, I noticed a change in the litter I was seeing. Fewer plastic bottles and take away cartons but a growing collection of disposable gloves, wipes and masks. The gloves felt particularly poignant.

Being hand shapes, they suggest human presence no longer there. Some looked as though they were still inhabited with a hand, others had fallen to form gestures (not always polite) maybe suggesting a feeling or reaction to the pandemic, some formed shapes like someone practicing shadow puppets and then there were combinations as though they were communicating at a time when touch and communication were so restricted and some combined with other litter to suggest a situation. So I started a collection of photographs as a way of documenting the pandemic.

I started by developing pieces combining manipulated textiles and cement cast in plastic packaging with suitable texture to reflect the way the gloves were abandoned on pavements or caught in gutters and drains. As my collection of photographs grew, so did my series of cast panels forming this Memorial. Entombed in the cement, it reinforced the permanence of loss and the long-lasting effect of this pandemic. The gloves symbolise fleeting human interaction and loss. The waste of time and resources during covid-19 leading to lost lives, particularly the disregard for the protection of keyworkers. It felt important to also respond to the tragic death of George Floyd and the Black Lives Matter protests through this this series.

  

Glove Story: Memorial (2020)


Stella Tripp stellatripp.co.uk     @stella.tripp

Together Apart: At the start of lockdown I felt very lucky to have my studio in my house, so I could carry on working “as normal”. However I soon found myself struggling to work freely in a locked down world, and settled in to making small watercolours on paper, sometimes adding lines drawn with pen and ink, or coloured pencils.

Although not a conscious attempt to “illustrate” the restrictions, isolation and anxiety associated with the pandemic, that is what they have come to represent to me.

They’re very compelling to do. Something about the way the black line transforms the painted colours maybe? Defining the chaos? Not sure what it is, but while it continues to feel like they’re keeping me going, I guess I’ll keep them coming!

For this exhibition I made one work, intended to be divided in three – to emphasise separation and making connections.

When I first went to America, years ago, the novelty and freedom of the situation allowed my work to expand in all directions – size, materials, ideas... In the strange situation we find ourselves in now, more restrictive size and media intuitively feel more fitting.


Together Apart 1     Together Apart 2     Together Apart 3

Shahar Tuchner shahartuchner.com

Digital 2D work which shows the coronavirus in the background. The coronavirus form looks fuzzy and ruined which expresses the hopes of the people to erase and destroy it.Above the image of the coronavirus, write the official name of the virus that given by the World Health Organization and in addition to him, in a humane and honest way, a word of disgust is written which comes as a primary human instinct that expresses the disgust and the repulsionof all the people from this terrible disease.


                            Covid-19 Ugh                             Covid-19 Yuck

Peter Veenpeterveen.nl/english

Living in the country side there is not much to be noticed on Covid-19 in daily life. A walk is a walk as usual. And my dog doesn't seem to behave differently. Only humans do. And maybe the crows.

Sneeze


Mónica Vilábehance.net/mnivil

After seven months locked down, I finally go out to walk alone, without talking to anyone, with my headphones on and the same streets as always, streets that seems to stay almost the same, but we sure changed. I won’t be able to see and much less to touch anyone in a long time. God, I miss so much to touch people. I know not everybody has to do this; this is what happens when you have a chronic illness. 

Anyway, sometimes I’m afraid that I’ll only live in the virtual world, a world that can’t be touched or kissed.

Touch


Harvey Wells

Lockdown Dog


Philip Westcott

A range of paintings showing the reality of peoples lives during the pandemic in my local town

Art during the Pandemic


David W Westwoodmallardip.com

I am a artist who suffers with complex mental health problem. It is these problems that are the inspiration to the submitted art work.

Psychosis and me, in lockdown


Jennifer Westonfacebook.com/jenniferwestonUK     @jenniferwestonuk                                                                                          @jennife12588223

I was working in the city of York when the first visitor from China tested COVID19 positive. Word spread and soon there was a sense of rising fear and panic. No one wanted to touch the shared computers, we tried to wipe of years of engrained dirt on keyboards in one sweep. I was deeply relieved when I was furloughed and clung to the safety of indoors. The print studio I use was closed and is still closed. During lockdown I increasingly clung to my computer and made a diary of abstracted emotional expressions.


Wombwell

3 comments:

  1. I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to find the good from the bad sometimes. but I think you’ve nailed it! would you mind updating your blog with more information?
    art exhibition

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing nice information with us. i like your post and all you share with us is uptodate and quite informative. i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you. as you have done a wonderful job.
    art exhibition

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was wondering if I could use this write-up on my other website. I will link it back to your website though.Great Thanks.
    jaiib mock test

    ReplyDelete

Day 7

C ovid-19 Art Exhibition Day 7 Artists Simon Williams -  @kormeleon This is one of a series of haiku and Tanka written to attempt to reliev...